ALASKA SALMON WITH ASIAN WATER TAPEWORM News with Fins 4

ALASKA SALMON WITH ASIAN WATER TAPEWORM

The first study and identification was done in 1986.   These tapeworms can only affect humans if eaten raw.   They have been found in chum, masu, pink and sockeye salmon.   There has been over 2,000 cases of people infected with the tapeworm but mostly in Asia.   With cases being reported, the Czech Science Foundation had researched 64 Alaska wild salmon (31 sockeyes, 23 pinks, 8 rainbow trout’s, 1 king and 1 Coho salmon).   After examining the salmon and trout numerous tapeworms were found that was 99 percent match to the Japanese broad tapeworm.

How did this happen?   Well trickledown effect.   Infected birds poop out the eggs that goes into the water.   Those eggs turn into larvae and are eaten by small crustaceans known as copepods.   Then the copepods are eaten by the salmon.   Bingo we have an infected Alaska salmon full of tapeworms.  

I love eating salmon and I will make sure it is fully cooked before I touch it.   Fish and Game say for your own protection to cook the fish fully or freeze it before eating it to -4 to kill any parasitic worms.   They do not see this as a problem now but will keep on researching.   For those of you that like eating sushi and eat it in restaurants, they are supposed to freeze before they serve.   For my choice, I will just prefer to do it myself.

One thought on “ALASKA SALMON WITH ASIAN WATER TAPEWORM News with Fins 4”

1. That is scary news to hear especially here in Alaska since salmon is a common staple. Hope no one eats salmon raw, but I have heard of people storing them away as pickled fish. I wonder if that is close to being eaten raw? Thanks for sharing.