Halibut Stock Decline Forces Increased Management Measures for Southeat Alaska Charter Fleet

NOAA’s fishery services have came to  the conclusion that halibut stocks are getting significantly low.  Which made them  considered the IPHC’s ( International Pacific Halibut Commission) regulatory recommendations. The regulations for halibut caught by charter  anglers, is a maximum size of 37 inches.

Youtube: Bycatch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVGJtTw8A0c

IPHC believes that the number of stock is declining because,  a low number of fish are not  reaching a catchable size. The commissions also believe that halibut can further decline in population.

“The declining halibut stock is impacting both charter and commercial halibut fishers all along the west coast from Washington State to Alaska,” said Alaska Fisheries regional administrator Dr. James Balsiger. “NOAA’s Fisheries Service is committed to working cooperatively with our international partners in Canada to jointly manage this important stock for the long-term benefit of both our countries.”

NOAA is trying to help the population; I agree with Dr. Balsiger and  that it is important to work  coopertively on the issue. Although this is an older article, I  felt it was important  to help understand the  past lesson.  Also, I feel very strongly about Alaska’s natural resources.

Youtube: Over Fishing Top 5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-EGb8UyvvU

Citation :

National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. “Halibut stock decline forces increased management measures for southeast Alaska charter fleet.” ScienceDaily. ScienceDaily, 13 March 2011. <www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/03/110313130122.htm>

2 thoughts on “Halibut Stock Decline Forces Increased Management Measures for Southeat Alaska Charter Fleet”

1. Interesting article. Alaska fisheries and natural resources are extremely important! Hopefully joining with Canada on this issue will help this population.

2. Good info !!! Next article let’s try to write an article in the format for a news article
    Try sub-headings:
    Introduction
    Problems
    Research…
    Conclusion or discussion — this is where you put in your personal touch to the blog

Leave a Reply