Improving Salmon’s Success in the Wild and Aquaculture

130923092941-large

Chronic mild stressors in humans are known to cause learning and memory problems. However,    according to researchers at Uni Research AS this is true with salmon. To the extent that salmon have a successful future is dependent on their ability to learn and adapt rapidly to new environments. For example, juvenile salmon being transferred from rearing tanks to sea cages.   The research team in the Integrative Fish Biology group at Uni Research AS recently showed that salmon exposed to poor water quality were poor learners and that markers in the  brain showed that fish have experienced chronic mild stress.  Identifying such environmental situations that trigger chronic mild stress will improve fish welfare and reduce fish mortality in aquaculture systems.  In a recent scientific article titled “Environmental enrichment promotes neural plasticity and cognitive ability’ showed that raising fish in an environment with obstacles or “furniture’ improves their learning ability.  These types of studies can help fishery managers visualize certain methods that can provide an environment to help improve the welfare of fish and enhance production.

Blog Author:Stephen Arturo Greenlaw
Article: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/09/130923092941.htm
Scientific Journal Article :  https://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/280/1767/20131331

4 thoughts on “Improving Salmon’s Success in the Wild and Aquaculture”

1. Cool article, and a really cool study. There aren’t too many that research the cognitive development of fish!
    What do you think is one of the main problems with hatcheries that this research is trying to help with?

2. This article is really interesting. I’ve never actually thought about how smart fish are. I know they have some cognitive abilities because in rivers, they have good hiding spots, but it is definitely more than I thought.

A problem within hatcheries that the study is trying to help with is that fish are raised in rearing ponds, which do not provide exposure to logs or other hiding spots, until they are smolt. When the smolt are transferred into a river, or creek, their transition from fresh to salt does not provide them with enough time to figure out how to hide themselves. What I got out of the article is that the fish will tend to be out in open areas which makes them easy prey.

Leave a Reply