NOAA PROPOSES REDUCED HALIBUT BYCATCH LIMITS FOR GULF OF ALASKA GROUNDFISH FISHERIES

NOAA has released to the public a proposal to lower the percentage of halibut by catch that fishing vessels can get in the Gulf of Alaska.  The target is the ground fishing industry operating long-lining fishing vessels as well as trawlers.  The article and the attached plan suggests lowering the percentages significantly from percents ranging in the 30’s (of by-catch allowance) and dropping them to 15 percent within the next few years.  In my opinion, I am completely for this amendment to pass.  In my years fishing in the Prince William Sound (about 15) I have greatly noticed a reduction in population and size of halibut being caught sport fishing.  Granted, this amendment is directed towards the Gulf of Alaska, but the Prince William Sounds numbers in population could greatly be affected by passing this regulation.

https://alaskafisheries.noaa.gov/newsreleases/2013/goaamd95_091713.htm

Ryan Sims

2 thoughts on “NOAA PROPOSES REDUCED HALIBUT BYCATCH LIMITS FOR GULF OF ALASKA GROUNDFISH FISHERIES”

1. Yes, this is a REALLY big deal in current fisheries management in Alaska. The halibut fishery in the Gulf of Alaska has a lot of social, economical and political complications, but as you say there’s no doubt that the bycatch of halibut has been a big issue for the sustainability of the halibut population.
    What is going to be the difficulty in enforcing these new regulations however? And how do you think this will affect the fishing industry?

2. As you pointed out Ryan, this reduction in bycatch in the Gulf of Alaska may help increase reduced stocks from other areas. One of the important questions the IPHC is trying to answer, through many years of tagging projects, is how much this species actually “migrates”.