Alaska Salmon Roe Forecasts and Price Info

Jamie Foode-News w/Fins 5/3/13

I found this to be interesting as the project I currently manage is researching products for value adding to our regions seafood, primary Copper River salmon.   The price is really soaring this year, and with the brand for Copper River already established roe could be a valuable product development here in Cordova.

Alaska salmon roe forecasts and price info

Fish Radio

May 8, 2013

AK Salmon Roe Estimates Credit:  ASMI

AK Salmon Roe Estimates
Credit: ASMI

Alaska salmon roe

Alaska salmon roe

This is Fish Radio. I’m Laine Welch … A look at salmon roe forecasts and prices. That’s up after this —

Northrim is an Alaskan bank that knows fishing is serious business. That’s why Northrim has commercial fisheries loan expert Zac Hays, as part of their team. Northrim has  superior  service and money to loan to take your fishing business to the next level. Northrim Bank, Member FDIC, Equal  Opportunity  Lender. Visit www.northrim.com.  

Federal grants are available to help “Made in America’ companies compete with imports and save US jobs. Learn more at www.nwtaac.org.

Salmon roe might not be an American favorite, but it’s a highly valued delicacy elsewhere. The main sources of salmon roe are pink, chum and sockeye, in that order. This year roe production is projected to total 27 million pounds, a big increase from the five-year average of 23 million pounds. Pink salmon  usually provide more than  half of Alaska’s  total salmon roe haul and this summer nearly 15 million pounds of pink roe is projected , 54 percent of the total.

Chum salmon are the second largest source of roe, producing a quarter of the Alaska pack. Chum roe is the priciest and about 7.5 million pounds should come out of the 2013 catch.

For sockeye, the 34-million-fish projection should yield a modest 4.7 million pounds of roe.

The roe follows different market trends than other Alaska salmon products. Fisheries economist Gunnar Knapp says that’s because roe wholesales  into different end markets, and it faces very little competition from farmed salmon.

Looking at sales trends:   all salmon roe prices surged from Sept through December last year.  For pink roe, over 5.5 million pounds fetched nearly $12 per pound, compared to less than $8 on average for all of 2011.   For chums, over 3.2 million pounds was sold    at $18.76 a pound, an increase of $5 dollars a pound from the previous year.  For sockeye 1.6 million pounds was valued at $8.97, up more than $2.  All total, Alaska salmon roe had a first wholesale value of nearly $200 million in 2011; the sales totals for 2012 will be out in early July.

State Dept. of Revenue’s Tax Division    

Fish Radio is also brought to you by Ocean Beauty Seafoods, celebrating 103 years of partnership with Alaska’s coastal communities. www.oceanbeauty.com   In Kodiak, I’m Laine Welch.

2 thoughts on “Alaska Salmon Roe Forecasts and Price Info”

Leave a Reply