Kampachi Yellowtail Fish – Innovative Management Strategy

Open ocean/ marine aquaculture (referred to as “mariculture’) is the latest innovation for helping to feed the occupiers of the planet while minimizing harm to the planet.   Kampachi Farms has invented technology that uses diamond-shaped net pens to hold a species of yellow tail tuna from spawning to harvest.   Time Magazine called this “Drifting Fish Farm’ as one of 2012’s greatest inventions.

What makes the way Kampachi Farms manages their Yellowtail sustainable?

• They eat small fish which drifts into their net pens but also are fed a soy-based protein diet. They are not give any antibiotics, hormones or pesticides. All of this minimizes their impact on the environment.
  • They spawn as often (as much as weekly!) throughout the year.
  • They have some of the most optimal feed-conversion ratios: protein required to produce one pound can be as little as 1.6:1.
  • Their pen location has strong currents, which diminishes the impact of the fish’s waste.
  • Kampachi tastes good — it is considered to be high-grade sashimi — so people will purchase and eat it.   Read this critique!
  • Kampachi is high in Omega-3s, so it is good for us.
  • And maybe most importantly, it helps prevent wild fish from being over-exploited.

I had also read about in Four Fishes: The Future of the Last Wild Food by Paul Greenberg. I highly recommend this book to learn about how we can attempt to sustain the top four fish species (salmon, tuna, sea bass and cod) that humans consume.

For more info, check out this article: https://www.hawaiifreepress.com/ArticlesMain/tabid/56/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/6236/categoryId/51/Kona-Kampachi-Successful-Harvest-in-Federal-Waters-off-Hawaii.aspx

And this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPs-0LfCEq0

4 thoughts on “Kampachi Yellowtail Fish – Innovative Management Strategy”

1. As a student, the first time around at University of Hawaii Manoa, I worked in a restaurant that had one of the first major contracts with this company.They held promotional “luncheons” where we passed out kampachi menu items. We served kampachi carpaccio and a variety of other dishes. The owner really played up the farming technique.

Leave a Reply