Pigmy Seahorse – Hippocampus bargibanti

Pygmy Seahorse (Hippocampus bargibanti) – Bargibant’s seahorse, common pygmy seahorse

I am the smallest species of Seahorse that is known to man – measuring a stout 2 cm tall!

One difference between males and females – the men carry the eggs and young around in their trunk! Once fertilized and released from the female, the male houses them inside his body.

Have one breeding partner during the breeding season, but the partner may change in between seasons.

I live in gorgonian sea fans, sea grasses and soft corals. I even have polyps on my body that allow me to blend in with my environment!

You can find me in shallow, warm tropic waters 🙂 I don’t usually stray too far from my camouflaged home, though.

I don’t really travel far. I just wrap my tail around a branch of coral or seagrass and catch food as it drifts by. I usually like to stick to tiny crustaceans.

Anything bigger than me is pretty much an enemy. That’s why I choose to live in a home I can blend into. As for friends, I like to hang out with other Pygmies, like myself.

images4

images2

images3

pigmy

Pigmy Seahorse

5 thoughts on “Pigmy Seahorse – Hippocampus bargibanti”

1. What great father’s these pygmy seahorses are! And what is mother doing while he watches after the young? I like how you presented in the 1st person, the pictures were engaging as well. Nicely done.