Invasive Burbot; Research and removal at Flaming Gorge

Flaming Gorge reservoir located in Wyoming and Utah is currently experiencing a full blown invasion by burbot.  The reservoir alone is over 42,000 acres and attracts sport fisherman from around the world in pursuit of Lake trout, Brown trout, Kokanee salmon, and many other species, which now include’s Burbot.  Burbot are not native to the area and have now been declared invasive.  A research project at Flaming Gorge is underway and will continue through the winter of 2013.  The main goal of the project is to survey the Burbot population as well as monitor the migration patterns of adult spawning fish.  Ultrasonic Telemetry Tags will be used to track fish migration, hopefully providing data to aid in removal efforts.  By knowing where and when the fish are spawning, anglers and biologists will be able to increase the  efficiency  of removal.  Burbot spawn in winter under the ice which makes choosing the best ice fishing location difficult.  Knowing  precisely  where the fish spawn means that instead of boring holes here and there, you’ll bore one hole in a  guaranteed  location.  The future of the Flaming Gorge Sport Fishery doesn’t look good due to our piscivore friend the Burbot, however, their predictability  and good eating may at least help encourage anglers to target and remove them.  

Two 22″ Tanana river Burbot

Posted By: Harrison D.

Link:  https://www.greenriverstar.com/news/regional/article_49160898-a45d-57ab-9a43-d00ca9b854d2.html

Supplementary link:  https://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsfishing/55212586-83/burbot-fishing-catch-ashley.html.csp

6 thoughts on “Invasive Burbot; Research and removal at Flaming Gorge”

1. Burbots are good delicacies to consume. I need to take a trip to Wyoming or Utah and get in on the action. I have caught 3 myself and its a good fight they put up. The tagging system seems like a good idea, but I don’t see a lot of people turning those tags in if by chance one of the burbot harvested has been tag.

2. An agreement between both state’s NRM departments on this issue would be beneficial. Currently the Wyoming section has a limit, whereas the Utah section has a mandatory “Keep and Kill” regulation. Strange? I think so. Both agree the fish is invasive, so why the difference in catch limit?

3. There is no limit on burbot at flaming gorge on Wyoming or the Utah sides. Wyomings reg book is just a little more confusing to read. I asked a fish and game warden for sweetwater county. So fish on