New Marine Research Projects

The University of Alaska Fairbanks School of Fisheries and Ocean Sciences is the headquarters for a new study. This study will be looking at species of seals, sea otters, king salmon, and red and blue King crab. The study is funded by Alaska Sea Grant and NOAA and UAF have teamed up to do the study.

Red and Blue King crab are going to try to be restocked around Kodiak island and the Pribilof Islands. This effort has been going on for several years but the juveniles are dying soon after release. The researchers are going to try to “boost” the nutritional content of the area and see if this helps.

Salmon will be measured for the amount of Strontium in their organs to see if they can be traced back to their birthplace.

The patterns of seal and sea otter subsistence harvest will be studied to see how the patterns have changed.

This was posted on the UAF website today if you would like to read more about it.

hrbrown

Hello! My name is Heather Brown and I currently live in the growing community of Wasilla. I have three children and have lived in Alaska all my life. I have visited almost every place in the state you can access by road and love Alaska! I love to fish, hunt, and spend lots of time outdoors. I am sad to say that I have limited experience with fish which is why I am taking this course. Thank you for taking the time to read this. Heather

More Posts