Subsistence Regulations and Fish Management

On December 11th, 2004, the North Pacific Fishery Management Council re-addressed subsistence halibut regulations. The number of fish in possession, use of charter boats, and the trade or exchange of fish for money regulations have been revised and tightened.

These changes are expected to come into affect by January 2006. They are amendments to the laws that were established in May, 2003.

In Southeast Alaska, the council changed the law to where you can only harvest 20 fish per day. The charter vessel law now states that these vessels are defined by the State by being registered as such. Meaning that if they are registered as a charter vessel with the State, then they are considered a charter vessel and can only be operated by the owner or the owner’s immediate family. Clients are not allowed to be on-board while participating in subsistence halibut activities.

hrbrown

Hello! My name is Heather Brown and I currently live in the growing community of Wasilla. I have three children and have lived in Alaska all my life. I have visited almost every place in the state you can access by road and love Alaska! I love to fish, hunt, and spend lots of time outdoors. I am sad to say that I have limited experience with fish which is why I am taking this course. Thank you for taking the time to read this. Heather

More Posts

One thought on “Subsistence Regulations and Fish Management”