124,000 FISH SUFFOCATE TO DEATH IN TEXAS HEAT

POSTED BY LONNIE BOUTTE OF SLANA, ALASKA, 10/19/2011
THE FOLLOWING SLIDE IS FROM AN ARTICLE POSTED BY ALEX DAVIES OF PARIS, FRANCE ON “TREEHUGGER”, SEPTEMBER 9, 2011. THE SEVERE DROUGHT IN TEXAS HAS RESULTED IN PONDS AND WATER RESERVOIRS BECOMING SHALLOW OR DRYING UP COMPLETELY. FISH ARE SUFFOCATING DUE TO LACK OF DISSOLVED O2 IN THE WATER. THE ARTICLE FOLLOWS:

The Week in Animal News: Bear Drives a Prius, Suffocating Fish and More

Image 2 of 13

Even Fish Feel the Heat

As Texas continues to suffer from the worst one-year drought on record along with scorchingly high temperatures, area lakes might seem like the best places to find refuge from the heat, but apparently not for fish.

According to state wildlife officials, in one lake alone some 124,000 fish perished last week in the extreme weather conditions, not from a lack of water, but from a lack of oxygen — an oft overlooked consequence of rising temperatures which may become more common as heat-spells grow more intense and prolonged.

Read the full story: 124,000 Fish Suffocate to Death in Texas Heat

Photo: GrapevineTXOnline/ccBy Alex Davies, Paris, France
on September 9, 2011

FULL URL BY ALEX DAVIES: https://www.treehugger.com/galleries/2011/09/week-in-animal-news-bear-drives-a-prius-suffocating-fish.php?page=2
THE ABOVE URL REFERRED TO AN ARTICLE POSTED BY STEPHEN MESSENGER OF PORTO ALEGRE, BRAZIL.
FULL URL BY STEPHEN MESSENGER: https://www.treehugger.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/14/2011/09/124000-fish-suffocate-to-death-in-texas-heat.php

lboutte

I grew up in South Louisiana. I enjoy fishing, canoeing, hiking, hunting, working with Sockeye (Oncorhynchus nerka) and Chinook (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha) salmon. I have worked for the National Park Service for 11 Summers (seasonal) as a Biological Science Technician (Fisheries), at Wrangell-St. Elias NP/P in Batzulnedas Village on the Tanada Creek Fish Weir. I'm a fish "SQUEEZER", and I wouldn't have any other job. I wanted to enroll in some FISHERIES courses to build on the knowledge about Fisheries and give me a competitive edge at higher paying 'FISH' related jobs, possibly permanent, in the future. Glad to be a part of the 'FISH101 COMMUNITY'.

More Posts

One thought on “124,000 FISH SUFFOCATE TO DEATH IN TEXAS HEAT”