48 FACTS YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT THE GULF OF MEXICO

POSTED BY LONNIE BOUTTE OF SLANA, ALASKA 10/11/2011

There are many fisheries in the Gulf of Mexico. In these fisheries there are many endangered species. The extract below from “Treehugger” names some of them.

‘There are  29 marine mammal species  found in the Gulf of Mexico, including such icons as bottlenose dolphins, humpback whales, minke whales, sperm whales, and the West Indian manatee. Many of the species of marine mammals found here are threatened or endangered.

The gulf is home to  five species of threatened and endangered sea turtles, including Kemp’s ridley sea turtles, Hawksbill sea turtles, Green sea turtles, Loggerhead sea turtles and Leatherback sea turtles.

diver with shark photo
A diver and shark in the Gulf of Mexico off Key West in 1986, via  Florida Keys — Public Libraries  on Flickr CC

As many as  49 shark species  are known to inhabit the Gulf of Mexico, including Silky, Bull, Lemon, Oceanic whitetip, Dusky, Tiger, Thresher, several species of hammerhead, and even whale sharks, just to name a few. As with marine mammals and turtles, may of these once populous species are also threatened, endangered or are species of concern.

whale shark photo
Photo by  zappowbang  via Flickr CC

Isla Holbox was uncovered just a few years ago as a prime place to see  whale sharks  feeding in large groups during their annual migrations. The area is now struggling to balance an ecotourism industry with protecting these gentle giants.

Sargassum  is a widespread genus of seaweed that creates  floating oases  for marine species, from sea turtles and seahorses to tuna and billfish, and patches can become so large and dense they can be detected from space.

manatee hug photo
Image via  USFWS Endangered Species  via Flickr CC

Manatees are an iconic figure of Florida’s coasts. They can reach up to 12 feet in length and  weigh more than 1,500 pounds,  but only 5,000 remain in the wild as run-ins with boaters and loss of coastal habitat impact populations.’

FULL URL:
https://www.treehugger.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/14/2011/10/48-facts-you-should-know-about-the-gulf-of-mexico.php

lboutte

I grew up in South Louisiana. I enjoy fishing, canoeing, hiking, hunting, working with Sockeye (Oncorhynchus nerka) and Chinook (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha) salmon. I have worked for the National Park Service for 11 Summers (seasonal) as a Biological Science Technician (Fisheries), at Wrangell-St. Elias NP/P in Batzulnedas Village on the Tanada Creek Fish Weir. I'm a fish "SQUEEZER", and I wouldn't have any other job. I wanted to enroll in some FISHERIES courses to build on the knowledge about Fisheries and give me a competitive edge at higher paying 'FISH' related jobs, possibly permanent, in the future. Glad to be a part of the 'FISH101 COMMUNITY'.

More Posts

One thought on “48 FACTS YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT THE GULF OF MEXICO”