Can CITES Help Shark Populations?

Posted by Matt Robinson:

I thought this video was interesting because it relates to the finning we’ve been discussing in class. Matt Rand, director of the Global Shark Conservation Pew Environmental Group wants to see hammerhead sharks  listed at CITES (Convention of the International Trade of Endangered Species) “the olympics of protecting endangered species”. Even though the sharks are listed as endangered, they are still in threat of going extinct because of the overfishing for their fins. CITES would make it illegal to trade hammerheads. By doing this they are hoping to take away the worth of the shark because people aren’t able to sell it so they stop fishing them all together. CITES is responsible for making elephant ivory illegal for trade. The regulations would be enforced at the trading ports, not on the open ocean. Let’s hope that CITES can save the sharks!

3 thoughts on “Can CITES Help Shark Populations?”

1. I believe that avoiding processed foods is a first step to help lose weight. They will often taste great, but packaged foods possess very little vitamins and minerals, making you try to eat more just to have enough power to get throughout the day. Should you be constantly eating these foods, moving over to grain and other complex carbohydrates will make you to have more vigor while consuming less. Interesting blog post.

2. One thing I’d really like to touch upon is that weightloss program fast is possible by the right diet and exercise. Your size not merely affects the look, but also the overall quality of life. Self-esteem, depression, health risks, as well as physical capabilities are impacted in putting on weight. It is possible to do everything right whilst still having a gain. If this happens, a medical problem may be the root cause. While a lot food and not enough exercising are usually guilty, common health concerns and widely used prescriptions can easily greatly amplify size. Many thanks for your post right here.

Leave a Reply