Fish Near Coal-Fired Power Plants Have Lower Levels of Mercury

Posted by: Kelsie Maslen

This is just one the power plants on the lake.

North Carolina State University discovered that the fish that live near the Coal-Fired Power Plant have lower levels of mercury than fish that live further away. The researchers found their findings very surprising because coal-fired power plants typically the leading source to emitting mercury in the air. Now the researchers tested fish that were in different lakes, fish that lived 10 kilometers away, and fish that live 30 kilometers away, as well. The species that choose to test were the largemouth bass and bluegill, because they were commonly caught and eaten by fisherman. Plus these fish come from different places on the food chain. The largemouth bass is at the top of it’s food chain and does really have any predators of it’s own, and feed on smaller fish. Largemouth bass show higher levels of mercury. The bluegill is a really small fish and feeds on invertebrates and show lower levels of mercury. They found that mercury levels went up in both species.

Kelsie Maslen

My name is Kelsie and was born in Fort Kent, Maine, lived there about a year and moved to Nebraska then to Montana and then to Alaska. I grew up mainly in Kotzebue, Alaska, for 9-10 years. Moved to Gakona, Alaska for my senior year, graduated and moved to Fairbanks where I started my freshman year of college. I am a fisheries major and plan to study Marine fish. I currently in my 3 year of undergraduate. I am a very active person, I played volleyball and softball while in high school. Ran cross country as well. Snowboard and long-board on my free time or weekends. It is nice to have these opportunities in Alaska. I moved here a 12 years ago and I am here to stay.

More Posts

One thought on “Fish Near Coal-Fired Power Plants Have Lower Levels of Mercury”

1. I wonder if it is that the smoke from the fire plant does not settle near the plant, but rather is carried away, making waters immediately adjacent to the plant less vulnerable. Cool article!